Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Runathon Day 3

Last night I had a class (Landscape Design through Pima, for those curious) so I got home at 9:30 PM. I set 3 alarms on my watch and put my watch on the nightstand, rather than wear it on my wrist where it's easier for me to turn off and ignore. I set the alarm on my cell phone for 4:30 AM and put that on the other side of the room. I also set all my running stuff out and was in bed by 10:30 PM.

This morning I successfully got up and got out the door on time. When I arrived at the Sabino Canyon parking lot at 5:15 AM, I was the second car there. Julie and TJ arrived shortly thereafter, and we switched on our lights and headed out. There was much talk of pumas and other creatures that mangle people as we did our warm-up walk. We started our run just as the first hill starts. 5:30 AM, dark, cold, and I'm running up a hill. Oh well, at least I was with 2 other crazy people. Julie and I made it to Mile 1 where we had to stop to remove our long-sleeved shirts. I was really surprised how warm I got running. Must be the hills. There were a ton of stars out, and seeing them peeking out behind the silouettes of saguaros and the canyon walls was awesome. We decided to go to Mile 2 before turning around, and on the way back we saw a lot more people. No pumas though in the 4.11 miles we covered.

Julie and I are probably going to continue to run the canyon on Wednesday mornings. I'd like to keep up with it once a week, and it's nice to have someone to run with. I noticed during the Turkey Trot that we were really close in speed, and thought "I definitely need to run with Julie more!"

It was so early this morning, that now as I write this it feels like it happened a few days ago. *yawn* I've been up way too long already today. That coupled with staying late at work tonight means I'm going to have an absolute fun day watching the clock today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! A daily running post. You are seriously over the legal energy limit.

Joyce Vyriotes said...

That's an EARLY morning in the cold and dark - impressive!