Thursday, July 31, 2008

How sad...the summer aquathlon series is over

Last night was the championship night of the summer aquathlon series. I was looking forward to a fun race of searching for tennis balls in the bushes, or twistie ties on the fences. Not so. We did the same 800 yd swim and 5K run, but were assigned a partner, and our times would be added together. My partner was a spry young fellow in the 15-19 age group. I tried to go fast, but just didn't have it in my legs. And, hello! I'm supposed to be tapering for Snow Valley. So no grand prize for our team.

Last week was my best race of the season. I finished the swim in 13:23 (1:40 per 100 avg), and did the 5K in 26:53 (8:40 min/mi avg) for a total time (with transition) of 40:48. I shall try to beat this time next season. Gotta work on that running thing. I finished 4th overall in my age group of W30-34, so I was just out of the money. But given where I started, I'm pretty happy with this season and my improvement. Plus, I did the entire series in a bikini. That in itself is an accomplishment.

No comments: